NYC Real Time Traffic Speed Data Feed
The TMC maintains a map of traffic speed detectors throughout the City. The speed detector themselves belong to various city and state agencies. The Traffic Speeds Map is available on the DOT's website. This data feed contains 'real-time' traffic information from locations where DOT picks up sensor feeds within the five boroughs, mostly on major arterials and highways. DOT uses this information for emergency response and management.
The metadata defines the fields available in this data feed and explains more about the data.
How should this data set be cited?
City of New York Department of Transportation Online Links:
* http://a841‐dotweb01.nyc.gov/datafeeds/ What geographic area does the data set cover?
The sensors are installed within the New York City limits
Does the data set describe conditions during a particular time period?
The data is updated several times per minute.
What is the general form of this data set?
Text or php files are available.
How does the data set represent geographic features?
This data is in Google compatible polyline from, for more information please see: http://code.google.com/apis/maps/documentation/polylineutility.html.
Who produced the data set?
City of New York Department of Transportation
To whom should users address questions about the data?
New York City Department of Transportation Traffic Management Center Deputy Commissioner’s Office New York City Department of Transportation 28‐11 Queens Plaza, 8th FL
Long Island City, New York 11101
Why was the data set created?
The New York City Traffic Speed Detectors is meant to provide real time traffic speed information supplied by NYCDOT owned sensors to the general public and the developer community for use in application development. This data is also displayed in a web‐ ready format at http://nyctmc.org/.
What similar or related data should the user be aware of?
There is also a data feed for NYCDOT’s traffic cameras. Developers wishing to access the cameras via a data feed, must contact the NYCDOT TMC at TMCDOT@dot.nyc.gov and sign a data‐sharing agreement. A sample copy is provided here: http://a841‐ dotweb01.nyc.gov/datafeeds/. Other traffic and travel information for the entire state is available via New York State’s 511 program, http://www.511ny.org/
How reliable are the data; what problems remain in the data set?
linkTimeStamp indicates when data was last received from the sensor. If the date is other than the current date it indicates an error with that sensor and that data should not be used.
Where are the gaps in the data? What is missing?
This data only covers major arterial roadways within the five boroughs. For coverage elsewhere in New York State visit: http://www.511ny.org/traffic.aspx.
Are there legal restrictions on access or use of the data?
Access_Constraints: New York City Traffic Speed Detectors is freely available to the public.
Who distributes the data set?
New York City Department of Transportation 55 Water St New York, NY 10041 USA
What legal disclaimers am I supposed to read?
Who wrote the metadata?
Dates: Last modified: 20‐July‐2010 Metadata author: New York City Department of Transportation Traffic Management Center Deputy Commissioner’s Office New York City Department of Transportation 28‐11 Queens Plaza, 8th FL Long Island City, New York 11101 TMCDOT@dot.nyc.gov
- Meta Location Data linkinfo.csv (61.35 kB)
- April 2015 april2015.csv (22.00 MB)
- May 2015 may.csv (48.88 MB)
- June 2015 june2015.csv (65.42 MB)
- July 2015 july2015.csv (65.20 MB)
- August 2015 august2015.csv (65.04 MB)
- September 2015 september.csv (63.73 MB)
- October 2015 october.csv (67.58 MB)
- November 2015 november2015.csv (62.24 MB)
- December 2015 december2015.csv (64.79 MB)
- January 2016 january2016.csv (63.27 MB)
- February 2016 february2016.csv (59.55 MB)
- March 2016 march2016.csv (58.15 MB)
- April 2016 april2016.csv (60.06 MB)
- May 2016 may2016.csv (63.47 MB)
- June 2016 june2016.csv (59.52 MB)
- July 2016 july2016.csv (62.40 MB)
- August 2016 august2016.csv (56.27 MB)
- September 2016 september2016.csv (59.28 MB)
- October 2016 october2016.csv (54.72 MB)
- November 2016 november2016.csv (59.05 MB)
- December 2016 december2016.csv (32.31 MB)