Physician and Other Supplier Data CY 2014
- Citation Author(s):
- Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services
- Submitted by:
- Alexander Outman
- Last updated:
- Thu, 11/08/2018 - 10:34
- Data Format:
As part of the Obama Administration’s efforts to make our healthcare system more transparent, affordable, and accountable, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) has prepared a public data set, the Medicare Provider Utilization and Payment Data: Physician and Other Supplier Public Use File (Physician and Other Supplier PUF), with information on services and procedures provided to Medicare beneficiaries by physicians and other healthcare professionals. The Physician and Other Supplier PUF contains information on utilization, payment (allowed amount and Medicare payment), and submitted charges organized by National Provider Identifier (NPI), Healthcare Common Procedure Coding System (HCPCS) code, and place of service. This PUF is based on information from CMS administrative claims data for Medicare beneficiaries enrolled in the fee-for-service program available from the CMS Chronic Condition Data Warehouse (www.ccwdata.org). The data in the Physician and Other Supplier PUF covers calendar year 2014 and contains 100% final-action physician/supplier Part B non-institutional line items for the Medicare fee-for-service population.
While the Physician and Other Supplier PUF has a wealth of information on payment and utilization for Medicare Part B services, the dataset has a number of limitations. Of particular importance is the fact that the data may not be representative of a physician’s entire practice as it only includes information on Medicare fee-for-service beneficiaries. In addition, the data are not intended to indicate the quality of care provided and are not risk-adjusted to account for differences in underlying severity of disease of patient populations. However, we have provided average beneficiary risk scores on the “Medicare Physician and Other Supplier Aggregate Table” (i.e., one record per NPI) to provide information on the health status of the beneficiaries the providers serve. For additional limitations, please review the methodology document available below.
Data are available in two formats:
- An online interactive dataset (allows users to sort and filter data directly without downloading).
- Tab delimited file format (requires importing into database or statistical software; SAS® read-in language is included in the download ZIP package)
CMS has also created two types of summary tables: 1) aggregated information by physician or other supplier and 2) aggregated information by State and HCPCS code. A detailed methodology document can be found in the Downloads section below which contains important information regarding the limitations of data usage.
Please include instructions for use of your dataset and analysis tools.
- Medicare Physician and Other Supplier PUF, CY2014 Medicare_Provider_Util_Payment_PUF_CY2014.txt (1.94 GB)
- Medicare National/HCPCS Aggregate table, CY2014, Microsoft Excel Medicare_National_HCPCS_Aggregate_CY2014.xlsx (1.46 MB)
- Medicare State/HCPCS Aggregate table, CY2014, Microsoft Excel Medicare_State_HCPCS_Aggregate_CY2014.xlsx (27.31 MB)
- Medicare State/HCPCS Aggregate table, CY2014, Microsoft Excel Medicare-Physician-and-Other-Supplier-PUF-SAS-Infile.sas (3.28 kB)
- tinymce_3.5.7.zip (806.07 kB)