Emulator-based Optimization of a Semi-Active Hip Exoskeleton Concept: Sweeping Impedance Across Walking Speeds
We are presenting electromyography (EMG) and metabolic cost data collected during the optimization of a semi-active hip exoskeleton concept using impedance control at varying walking speeds. We collected 2-minute estimations of metabolic cost across 30 combinations of impedance parameters (stiffness and reference angle) to predict the most metabolically beneficial parameter set. We also collected EMG from 8 lower limb muscles (tibialis anterior (TA), medial gastrocnemius (MG), soleus (SOL), vastus medialis (VM), rectus femoris (RF), biceps femoris (BF), gluteus maximus (GMa), and gluteus medius (GMe)) and used linear combinations of this data to predict metabolic cost. Read the paper for more details on how the data was collected and how this data has been used so far. Below is the Matlab dataset (.mat file) and a .txt “read me” file explaining how to navigate the structure.
Thank you for your interest in our dataset. Below are directions to referencing through the Matlab data structure:
data.mat: Load this file into Matlab
- data: structure containing all collected data from our study
o First layer: structures referencing each participant in our study
* Subject_1 thru Subject_10
o Second layer: subject specific data and session structures
* Mass (kg)
* Height (cm)
* habit (habituation session)
* Sp1_0 (1.0 m/s optimization session)
* Sp1_3 (1.3 m/s optimization session)
* Sp1_6 (1.6 m/s optimization session)
* valid (validation session)
o Third layer: session specific data
* Each session structure includes exoskeleton assistance parameters in the order they were applied, and their associated 2-min estimate of steady state metabolic cost (“MetRate”). “habit” session structure includes this data only.
* “Sp” session structures additionally include the raw electromyography timeseries for all 8 muscles and raw ground reaction forces (GRF) for each trial.
* tibialis anterior (TA), medial gastrocnemius (MG), soleus (SOL), vastus medialis (VM), rectus femoris (RF), biceps femoris (BF), gluteus maximus (GMa), and gluteus medius (GMe)
* “valid” session structure additionally includes steady-state metabolic cost data (“SS_meta”).
- Subjects 1 and 6 do not have associated EMG due to equipment issues